Saturday, June 18, 2011

"It is not for me to make the choice."

“I paint the way some people write their autobiography.  The paintings, finished or not, are the pages from my diary, and as such they are valid.  The future will choose the pages it prefers.  It is not for me to make the choice.  I have the impression that time is speeding past me more and more rapidly.  I am like a river that rolls on, dragging with it trees that grow too close to its banks or dead claves one might have thrown into it or any kind of microbes that develop in it.  I carry all that along with me and go on.  It’s the movement of painting that interests me, the dramatic movement from one effort to the next, even if those efforts are perhaps not pushed to their ultimate end. In some of my paintings canvases I can say with certainty that the effort has been brought to its full weight and its conclusion, because there I have been able to stop the flow of life around me.  I have less and less time and yet I have more and more to say, and what I have to say is, increasingly, something about the movement of my thought.  I’ve reached the moment, you see, when the movement of my thought interests me more that the thought itself.” 
— Pablo Picasso 

Here are the 8 Picasso works, all in one place, so you can take a good look at them as a group.


#1 - The Portrait of Dora Maar is a given as one of the 5.
Four more works are to be selected from the menu. 
Ready, set, discuss!


#1 - Portrait of Dora Maar, 1937 


#2 - Self-Portrait, 1906







#3 - Woman with Clasped Hands (Study for Les Demoiselles d'Avignon), 1907


#4 - Guitar and Bottle of Bass (1913)

#5 - Paul as Harlequin. 1924

#6 - Bathers Playing with a Beach Ball, 1928

#7 - Bullfight: Death of the Torero, 1933

#8 - The Studio of La Californie, 1956

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.